Employment opportunities

Employment during, and after study, is possible but cannot be guaranteed for international students. The availability of employment depends on many factors including the needs of the economy and the availability of positions in a particular location.  Current regulations allow students to work:


During Study programme

International students may work

  • to meet course requirements for practical work experience, or
  • during the Christmas and New Year holiday period if they are in a full-time course of study lasting 12 months or longer, and/or
  • for up to 20 hours in any given week during the academic year if they are in full-time study:

o   at a private training establishment or tertiary institution and taking at least two academic years to complete, or

o   culminating in a New Zealand qualification that would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category,


After Study programme

International students may apply for a one-year Post Study Work Visa (Open)following successful completion of their course(Two year course at Level 5 or 6; One year course at Level 7 or above). Then, when they have found a job related to their study, these students can apply for a further Post Study Work Visa (Employer Assisted) for up to two or three years.


Long term

Long-term employment is subject to the working and/or residence requirements of the New Zealand Immigration Service. These vary from time to time in response to changing needs and conditions.

Giles Brooker Education does not provide immigration or employment services but can help students find sound career advice and reliable immigration and employment advice if this is required.


Spouse visa

This visa allows partners of Student visa holders, who are in New Zealand studying towards a level 7 or higher qualification on our Long Term Skill Shortage List, or a postgraduate qualification, to work in New Zealand. While you’re here you’ll be able to get a job and in your free time, enjoy New Zealand’s scenery, adventure, culture, and friendly people.


Dependent Children

If children are single, financially dependent and the right age, they can be included in their parent’s visa application. Or they may be able to apply for a visa based on their relationship to their parent, if their parent already has or is applying for a visa, or is a New Zealand citizen


New Courses

Study Tours to India


 GBE is working with Bannari Amman Institute of Technology to organize specialist study tours to India in fields such as Fashion and Textiles....


web designed by netBIOS